Lohia Memorial at Kanpur 201529th Seth Sriniwas Lohia Memorial Bridge Tournament took place at Ganges Club, Kanpur from February 27 - March 1, 2015. Apart from main duplicate and pairs event there was a silver event on day 2 for non qualifiers. Lohia tournament is known for its flawless hospitality but this year due to construction work at club the arrangements were slightly chaotic with lighting of the hall not being proper as one of the things. Sri Ranju Bhattacharya was CTD ably assisted by Sri Gora Roy Chaudhary, Sri SP Sharma. This year's format like last year allowed everyone to play in all 3 days which should be the consideration in any major event in these days of high entry fee. The Lohia tournament organisers provide breakfast, lunch, evening snacks & dinner which eases burden on the participants. The tournament which attracts teams from North and East India saw teams from Mumbai also participating this year. BFI President and Secretary also participated this year. BFI it seems is short of funds for World Bridge Championship taking place at Chennai later this year. So it was a business cum playing trip for President who is expecting state associations to commit some funds for the Chennai event which seem very ironical to me. Small associations dont have large pool of resources and sometimes they even default on regular BFI payments so asking them for money in the name of world championship is not proper. BFI if short of funds should approach organizations such as BCCI which have some funds for sports activities other than cricket.
Duplicate - Seth Sriniwas Lohia Trophy
44 teams up 3 from last year took part in the duplicate event and played 9 rounds of 8 boards of swiss league to determine 7 qualifiers and one best local team for the super league quarter finals. 8 teams were put into two groups of 4 teams each from where 2 top teams each qualified for SF. Apart from Finals there was a playoff for 3rd/4th place. 20-0 scale was used for scoring swiss league.The results area as follows:
1. Winner - Maya Meera Sneha (Satyabrat Mukherjee, Avijit Chakraborty, Samir Basak, Sukamal Das
2. Runners up RK Lohia Trophy - Dhampur Sugar Mills (Ashok Goel, Sumit Mukherjee, KR Venkataraman, P Kushari, Swarnenudu Banerjee)
3. 114 Kolkata (A Sarkar, Manas Mukerjee, Rana Roy, AN Banerjee, Sandip Dutta, D Majumdar)
4. Tasher Desh (Kamlesh Gupta, Prabir Paul, Anirudh Bhattacharjee, Anindra Sarkar, Saumitra Basu, Kishore Ganguly)
Rajjan (Bal Agarwal, Indresh Agarwal, Deepak Chatterjee, Shankar Chatterjee)
Arnab's IV (Amar Bose, Arun Chatterjee, RK Majumdar, S Bhattacharya, Soumya Das, S Majumdar)
Dilip Atha (Dilip Atha, Arijit Guha, Subrata Saha, S Roy Chaudhury, Sahipal Ghosh, Atanu Ganguly)
Best KBA team - Singhania (Kailash Newatia, SK Kaushik, Mukul Arren, SP Shukla, P Chakraborty, SK Ganguly)
Prizes were also given to teams ranked 8-9 in swiss league. These teams were Rahara Card Club & DS Roy Chaudhury. Best KBA Team was JKG Super.
Pairs - MP Jhujhunwala Trophy
84 pairs played pairs event in two sessions on final day with both sessions being played with computer dealt deals. Kamal Nagauri & Amalendu Sanyal won the trophy. Late HC Nigam trophy for being runners up went to Dipak Santra & Rajesh Jain . The other prize winners were - Sujit Bhattacharjee & SK Bandopadhyay, SR Dutta & Swetadri Saha, RK Majumdar & Somesh Bhattacharjee, DV Majumdar & MK Bhargava, Girish Kumar & Ratnesh, S Dhakras & R Sridharan, Gautam Das & Shyam Chatterjee, D Das & A Sarkar. Besh KBA Pairs were - SP Shukla & AK Sinha, Mukul Arren & Dr IP Jain.
Silver - RK Newatia Trophy
All non qualifiers of duplicate event could play Silver event where 6 rounds of swiss league of 8 boards were played. 35 teams took part in the event. The results were as follows:
1. Team Vibrant (Swetadri Saha, SR Dutta, MK Halder, BN Ghosh)
2. Runners up BM Prahladaka trophy -Amar Asansol (S Banerjee, B Ganguly, D Das, S Bhuyan, A Sarkar, S Dey)
3. Anoop Dhawan (SK Bandopadhyay, S Bhattacharjee, K Bhattacharjee, S Shome, S Roy)
4. Pradeep's IV (Pradeep Singh, Kr Vijayanand Singh, V Jhujhunwala, AK Sinha)
5. BAM Kolkata (D Santra, CS Majumdar, Goutam Das, SP Chatterjee, Sudit Pandit, I Basu)
6. Fani's IV (PS Mukherjee, S Dey, K Nagauri, A Sanyal, T Dasgupta, PB Das)
Best KBA team was JKG Kanpur.
Courtesy: Sri Kailash Singh