18th HCL Online International Bridge Championship 202118th HCL Online International Bridge Championship took place on Realbridge from September 18-26, 2021. The tournament carried a prize money purse of Rs 20 Lac ($ 27000). The flagship duplicate event was played in Gold, Silver & Bronze categories with Gold attracting 54 teams (down 1 from 55 in 2019), Silver 67 teams (down 35 from 102 in 2019) and Bronze 9 teams (down 19 from 28 in 2019) clearly showing that not all bridge players prefer online bridge. Over 100 international players took part in the event. The international players were from countries like Russia, Bangladesh, Israel, Argentina, UAE, UK, Singapore, Malaysia & Indonesia. Apart from smoothly conducting the championship the organisers must also get credit for keeping a rest day for teams reaching finals/play offs. It was a matter of immense personal pride that an all UP team without any National Masters "Ganga Gomti" coached by me finished runners up in Silver Teams event. The summarised results are as follows:
HCL Gold for Naresh Tandan Trophy, Day 1-7, 54 Teams, 20 Prizes, Total Prize Money: Rs 10.54 Lac
Day 1-2 Swiss League of 10 rounds of 10 boards each. Day 3 16 teams played Pre Quarter Finals knock out of 4*10 boards. Day 4 Quarter Finals knock out of 4*10 boards. Day 5 Semi Finals knock out of 4*10 boards. Day 7 Finals/Play Offs of 4*12 boards.
1.Texan Aces (G Venkatesh, Anil Padhye, Milind Athavale, Raju Tolani, Ajay Khare, Sunit Chokshi, P Sridhar, S Sundarram) Prize Rs 3.5 Lac
2. Formidables (Kiran Nadar, B Satyanarayana, Keyzad Anklesaria, Rajeshwar Tewari, Sumit Mukherjee, Debabrata Majumdar, Sandeep Thakral, Jaggy Shivdasani) Prize Rs 2 Lac
3. Solaris (Aniruddha Bhattacharya, Shibnath De Sarkar, Pranab Bardhan, Pinaki Khan, Badal Das, PS Mukherjee) Prize Rs 1 Lac
4. Shree Cement (Ravi Goenka, Arun Bapat, Himani Khandelwal, Rajeev Khandelwal, R Krishnan, Raghvendra Rajkumar, B Prabhakar) Prize Rs 0.6 Lac
HCL Silver for Mohini Tandan Trophy, Day 1-7, 67 Teams, 20 Prizes, Total Prize Money:Rs 2.8 Lac
Silver event is for those Indian teams (foreign teams require approval from technical committee) who can not play more than two National Master but below Life Master ranked player (National Masters are those with at least 600 Masterpoints out of which 500 should be Federation level) and not in partnership. Day 1-2 Swiss League of 10 rounds of 10 boards each. Day 3 16 teams played Pre Quarter Finals knock out of 4*10 boards. Day 4 Quarter Finals knock out of 4*10 boards. Day 5 Semi Finals knock out of 4*10 boards. Day 7 Finals/Play Offs of 4*12 boards.
1. Dr SSMC (Amiya Ranjan Das, Bikash Dutta, Goutam Das, Shyama Prasad Chatterjee, Somnath Mitra, Subrata Sadhukhan) Prize Rs 0.8 Lac
2. Ganga Gomti (BN Batra, Umesh Kumar Singh, Anil Kumar Srivastava, Wg Cdr GK Johri, Dr VK Rattan, SK Garg, Anup Kumar, Anand Srivastava) Prize Rs 0.5 Lac
3. Prayas (Dr Vikram Jain, Kamlesh Gupta, Amitava Ghosh, Sagar Bhuiya, Santanu Ghosh, Swapan Sardar, Tanmoy Mazumdar, Tapas Kumar Roy) Prize Rs 0.3 Lac
4. Dr Sanghi (Dr RL Sanghi, Arya Priyamber, Prajjwal, Pradip Ghosh, Prasenjit Manna, Rakesh Ranjan, Suresh Kumar) Prize Rs 0.2 Lac
HCL Bronze for HCL Rising Stars Trophy, Day 1-2, 9 Teams, 8 Prizes, Total Prize Money:Rs 0.505 Lac
Bronze event is for those Indian teams who can have two players with less than 100 Masterpoints and other four with less than 50 masterpoints. Day 1-2 Swiss League of 9 rounds of 9 boards each. Day 2 2 top teams played Final of 3*8 boards.
1. Urbane Gaming (Abhishek Sarkar, Akash Saha, Sanjay Chakravorty, Soham Chakraborty) Prize Rs 0.15 Lac
2. Crackerjax (Aswin Sanghvi, Madhuri Gokhale, Pankaj Tanna, Shruti Savle, Parag Savle, Vinesh Kamdar) Prize Rs 0.12 Lac
3. Dhanu (Aman Tyagi, Kinjal Desai, Ranjit Chugh, Devendra Patel, Supriya Sen) Prize Rs 0.075 Lac
4. Vagabonds (Neela Khanage, Vasant Kumar Tiwari, Anagha Kadolkar, Dilip Vaidya) Prize Rs 0.06 Lac
Open Matchpoint Pairs for Neena Bonarji Trophy, Day 4-9, 16 Prizes plus Prizes to Top 2 in Eliminations & Prizes to Best Ladies and Mixed Pairs, Total Prize Money: Rs 3.74 Lac
Day 4-5 First Elimination 226 Pairs played 2*24 boards. Day 6-7 Second Elimination 124 Pairs played 2*24 boards. Day 8 Third Elimination 70 Pairs played 2*24 boards. Day 9 Final 28 (27 + 1 sponsored) Pairs played 3*18 boards.
1. Rajeshwar Tewari & Keyzad Anklesaria Prize 0.8 Lac
2. Subhash Gupta & Sapan Desai Prize 0.6 Lac
3. Anant Somani & Rahul Khambete Prize 0.5 Lac
4. Rajeev Khandelwal & Himani Khandelwal Prize 0.4 Lac
Open Matchpoint Pairs Silver, Day 4-9, 8 Prizes Total Prize Money: Rs 0.605 Lac
Day 9 Silver Final 28 Pairs finishing 28-55 in Third Elimination on Day 8 played 3*18 boards.
1. Swapan Some & Swapan Kumar De Prize 0.15 Lac
2. SK Bandopadhyay & JB Sengupta Prize 0.12 Lac
3. Sandeep Karmarkar & Marianne Karmarkar Prize 0.10 Lac
4. Prashanth Kandulakunta & V Mohan Rao 0.08 Lac
7. Anup Kumar & Anand Srivastava (UP) Prize 0.03 Lac
IMP Pairs, Day 8-9, 16 Prizes plus Prizes to Top 2 in Elimination & Prizes to Best Ladies and Mixed Pairs, Total Prize Money: Rs 1.81 Lac
Day 8 Elimination 208 Pairs played 3*18 boards. Day 9 Final 90 Pairs played 3*18 boards.
1. Swetadri Saha & Krishna Das Chakraborty Prize 0.4 Lac
2. Paresh Gupta & Anukul Mandal Prize 0.3 Lac
3. Hasibul Hasan & SM Moin Prize 0.2 Lac
4. Levy Stern & Lior Urman Prize 0.15 Lac
The detailed results including hand records are available at http://www.hcl-bridge.com
Posted:06/10/2021 5:55 PM